The New York Arabic Orchestra (NYAO) at CAC
The New York Arabic Orchestra (NYAO) is a proud partner of the Center for Arabic Culture (CAC), providing year-round classes in Arabic music since 2010.
The New York Arabic Orchestra (NYAO) hosts outreach programs in the form of weekend-long workshops, designed to continue the education of Simon Shaheen’s Arabic Music Retreat throughout the year, and to audition and train musicians to perform with the New York Arabic Orchestra. Courses are primarily led by Maestro, Bassam Saba, in taqasim (improvisation), ornamentation, ear training, solfege, diction, rhythm, and ensemble. Private instruction is available for the oud, nay, buzuq, percussion (riqq, darbakkeh, frame drum), strings, and woodwinds. Students should be strong in sight-reading or in learning by ear and comfortable upon their instrument to receive the maximum benefits of the workshops. Experience in Arabic music is not necessary.
Bassam Saba is a principle educator and orchestra conductor at the Arabic Music Retreat and a professional performer and educator of Arabic music for over 30 years, performing on the nay, oud, violin, flute and buzuq. He has toured with Fairouz, Marcel Khalife, and Simon Shaheen, and has worked with many other artists including Yo-Yo Ma and Sting. Saba studied oud, nay and violin in Lebanon and received western classical training (flute) in Paris and Moscow. In addition to Arabic instruments, Saba teaches Arabic music to students of all woodwinds (e.g. clarinet and saxophone) and strings (e.g. cello and double-bass).
Fall 2011 dates are as follows:
- Boston- October 22-23 (Sat-Sun) Center for Arabic Culture (CAC) at 191 Highland Ave in Somerville, MA
- Boston- November 12-November 13 Center for Arabic Culture (CAC) at 191 Highland Ave
- Boston- December 3-4 (Sat-Sun) Center for Arabic Culture (CAC) at 191 Highland Ave in Somerville, MA
- Saturday- Private Instruction Scheduled between instructor and student
- Sunday- 12:00-6:00PM Courses focusing on improvisation, ornamentation, ear training, rhythm, and ensemble
- Each workshop is $150, or $275 for the full 2-session fall program, due October 17.
- Registration by October 10 is a reduction of $25.
- Private instruction (optional) is held on the first day of each weekend.
- Inquire for student rates and scholarship opportunities.
Place your payment online or make a check payable to “The Arabic Orchestra” and mail to: P.O. Box 236, Northport, NY 11768.
Kindly RSVP by October 10 so we may best tailor the workshops according to the instruments being studied, and fine-tune lesson materials to the level and experience of the participants.
Arabic Music Semester Intensive (AMSI)
The New York Arabic Orchestra